Monday, January 1, 2007

Another Year Goes By...Another Year Arrives

I wish all of you a Happy New Year! I hope that you and all your loved ones had/have a happy, safe, and healthy year.

As a native New Yorker I have never been to Times Square on New Year's Eve, and last night was no exception. We stayed home and most of us were in bed before midnight. The Mommy had to get up around midnight to calm a hyper 4 year old and deal with our dogs. Inconsiderate neighbors seem to think fireworks provide a great New Year’s celebration. Those of you with dogs know most of them despise fireworks.

Today is a “workday” for us; the Mommy had to be to work by 7 a.m. and I started my day at 5 a.m. I’m still taking care of my friend’s pets and had to be there and back before Mommy left for work at six. Though it’s not all bad – I get to have some computer time before the boys’ wake up, as well as, a peaceful pot cup of coffee.

There’s always a lot of talk about resolutions this time of year. A post from our friend at WipingUpSnot started me thinking… She asked us some questions about the upcoming year and I didn’t have any answers. I don’t make resolutions; I think they set us up for failure. I think it’s that I don’t like the word “resolution.” I prefer “goals.” There are many things I have achieved in my life and a couple more I still want to try. Failing to achieve a goal is not as damaging to our egos as breaking a resolution. We can spend a lifetime trying to accomplish one of life’s goals. Yet we only have a year for our resolution. I’m not saying it isn’t a good idea to change things that aren’t working, but I’d rather be working towards something rather than trying not to break something.

I make a real effort to live in the present. I can’t change the past and tomorrow is promised to no one. There are things I try to do everyday to be a better person, husband, father and son. Some days I make progress. I try to learn from past failures, as well as, past successes. But in the end it’s about what’s happening today, now, this minute.

On a personal note; I married the best partner a man could have, I love her more and more everyday. I started and ran my own business which became more successful than my wildest dreams, then was able to give it up and start another phase of my life as a full-time father to my beautiful, smart, healthy children.. If I had no tomorrows I would have no regrets except that I didn’t have more time doing these things I love. That’s all, I think, anyone can ask for... Okay, maybe I’ll try to eat better.

Again, Happy New Year, and thanks for reading!

Chris

a.k.a. Long Island Dad

No comments: