Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Then The Phone Rang...

Yesterday, I was supposed to post my installment of Tuesday’s Truth. I had a funny list of stuff to post for the “libations” section and was working on some great links.

But then the phone rang.

Not an unusual occurrence around here, but the caller ID showed a number I vaguely recognized.

It was the number of one of my father’s best friends. Actually, it was his cell phone number.

I answered the phone... it was my father.

He lives in Palm Harbor, Florida, which is just north of Clearwater Beach. I started off with the usual, “How’s it going down there?” I was curious as to why he was using his friend’s cell phone, but thought his battery might be dead. A phone call from the golf course is not unusual for him.

Much to my surprise, his normal witty retort about the weather didn’t come. Instead he said, "Not good."

He had a stroke.

He had lost control of the entire right side of his body.

He is 77 years old.

By the time he was able to call me, the feeling and sensation to the affected areas had returned. Good news!

He will remain in the hospital for a few days to undergo a battery of tests.

I got another phone call last night from my step-mother. (My parents divorced when I was 8 years old.) She told me he was finally in his own room and gave me his number, but not to call him because he was wiped out and was going to sleep.

I agreed to call him today.

I know he’s in good hands; my step-mother is a doctor of nursing education, as well as, a registered nurse and a former associate professor of nursing at the University of Massachusetts.

She also informed me that his “buddies” had immediately rushed to his side. His golf buddies, his poker buddies and he was joking with them all. He was concerned that he would miss last night’s weekly poker game and today’s round of golf. More Good News!

I was working on another “father” post to follow “Grandfathers.” It was going to run next week. But, I think I will finish it today, as time allows, and post it as soon as it’s done.

I look forward to sharing my father’s story, as he is a man who has fascinated me my entire life.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry LID.

I hope he makes a full recovery fast!!!

I am so glad to hear he's joking around and being silly. Good stuff.

I love those pictures too...what handsome men!

Mike said...

Sorry to hear about this. I am sure the distance is driving you crazy right now.

Praying for your father and the entire family.

Angel said...

OMG... LID!!! [[[hugs]]]

I'm glad the prognosis is good but terribly sorry that your father had the stroke.

My thoughts and prayers to your father and entire family! To a speedy and full recovery and many many more years of golf and poker for your father!

Working Gal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad - sounds like he is going to be okay, though. I know how scary strokes can be. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Angel said...

Your dad will be in my prayers. I'm so sorry you had to get a phone call like that.

My own father had a stroke right in front of my sister and I when I was about 9 years old. It's a scary thing to watch. My father also made a full recovery from the stroke (although he was plagued by other serious health issues) and it took about a year or so, I think. It's hard to remember.

My best to your family and your dad.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing post. I will be thinking about your father. I am new to this blog scene. My wife and I plan on having children soon, and I am searching the web to find some dad's out there. This is a great blog.

Thanks!

Leighton @ My Best Investments said...

So sorry about your dad, LID.

A stroke is NEVER a good thing, but it sounds like he's doing relatively well.

We're praying for your family.

OhTheJoys said...

Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear that, but it sounds like he's doing pretty well. I'll be thinking of you, and make sure to keep us posted!

Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Oh no...
I'm so sorry...
Keeping him in my daily prayers.